Location: Farnham (applicants can be from any campus but will work from the Farnham office).
7 hours per week (term-time)
£8.00 per hour
You will be working to improve how UCASU communicates with students and other stakeholders through physical and digital media. From website content management to preparing documents for print, you will work on live projects that will be seen by thousands of students.
This role will help deliver a busy and extremely varied communications schedule to promote the work of the Union. In turn, more students will learn of the Union’s activities and take advantage of the opportunities available.
UCA Students only are eligible to apply for this position.
Application form can be found at the bottom of this page. You will be asked to provide examples of your work upon application.
Should you wish to discuss the role prior to application please contact Andy Squire on 01252 892629 or email email@example.com
Application Deadline: Midday Monday 20 February 2017
UCASU will only contact successful shortlisted candidates
ABOUT UCA STUDENTS’ UNION
WHAT WE DO AND HOW WE DO IT
Strong, creative and inspired – we are UCA Students’ Union.
We will enable our students to be fulfilled, innovative leaders who make valuable contribution to our community and the world beyond.
Together we will create a strong union that is recognised as being relevant and influential throughout our university community.
HOW DO WE ACHIEVE THIS?
In doing this we are committed to:
- Delivering an Inspiring Student Voice – We will develop a partnership with the university which enables students to collectively influence and co-create their university academic experience.
- Supporting Creative Student Opportunities – We will help grow student ideas into exciting and innovative enterprises for the benefit of our community.
- Developing Strong Student Communities – We will create an exciting student led social and extra-circular community so that students are fulfilled and enjoy their time at UCA.
- Building a Strong and Active Students’ Union – We will lay the foundations for a strong, sustainable and creative students’ unions which is recognised as making a contribution to its members and the student movement.
HOW WE DO IT
The following behaviours are vital to the success of UCASU. We believe that people at all levels of our organisation need to display these to enable us to make student life better.
Our people take personal responsibility for the part they play in our students’ union, its mission and values, the student body and wider society.
· Student Focussed
Our people keep the needs of students at the heart of our activities.
Our people consistently role model high standards and good practice.
Our people apply an understanding of equality and diversity to strengthen positive engagement in all our students’ union activities and services.
· Achieving Impact
Our people maintain commitment to qualitative and quantitative impacts for our members and our work.
· Communicating Clearly
Our people help to provide clear, consistent and appropriate messages at all levels of our students’ union and beyond.
· Politically Aware
Our people apply an appreciation of the political environment in which our students’ union operates.
· Active Leadership
Our leaders actively lead. They establish expectations, accountabilities, purpose and vision, creating an environment where others can achieve optimal performance.
Job Description – Graphic Designer
Accountable to: Head of Business Development
- Assist in the timely production and update of communications materials and assets to support the work of UCASU.
- Enhance the breadth and quality of communication distributed by UCASU.
- Contribute to the strategic and operational plans of UCASU.
- Support the delivery of communication between UCA Students’ Union and its members
- Handle design requests from SU colleagues to support campaigns, events, or communication requirements
- Edit existing design work
- Create design elements to support larger overall projects
- Create graphics for use on social media and the SU website
- Keep up to date with graphic design and web content trends
- Keep up to date with how students consume information
- Occasionally use the large-format printer as a printing service to students
- Assist in the development of new revenue opportunities
- Contribute to the strategic and operational plans of UCASU
- Complete work that contributes to the overall direction of the Union
- Offer ideas into new areas of growth and development for communication
- Be an ambassador for the Students’ Union
|Must be an enrolled student of University for the Creative Arts||X|
|Excellent working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (especially Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)||X|
|Strong working knowledge of Adobe Premiere Pro||X|
|Excellent working knowledge of Mac OS X||X|
|Experience using UCA IT systems||X|
|Experience of website content management system(s) (WordPress)||X|
|Good knowledge of current design trends||X|
|Good knowledge of print design and typography best practise||X|
|Good knowledge of web content and design best practise||X|
|Understanding of print production requirements||X|
|Understanding and/or experience of UCA Students’ Union||X|
|Good knowledge of key themes and issues within the university context||X|
|Understanding of copyright law||X|
|Ability to write and edit HTML||X|
|Demonstrably high graphic design skills||X|
|Able to work to deadlines and simultaneous projects||X|
|Strong written and spoken English skills||X|
|Ability to write copy specifically for print and web||X|
|Be able to work to a prescribed style or edit an existing design||X|
|Excellent communication skills verbal and written||X|
|Ability to follow instructions and receive feedback in a positive manner||X|
|Ability to quickly build relationships with others||X|
|Proficient in e-communication||X|
|Excellent planning, organisational and administrative skills – with a particular focus on attention to detail||X|
|Self-motivated and self-reliant||X|
|IT competent with a working understanding of Microsoft Office||X|
|A keen interest in graphic design, marketing and branding||X|
|VALUES AND ETHICS|
|Desire to work within a democratic student led environment||X|
|Understanding and commitment to equal opportunities||X|
|Desire to work within organisation servicing a culturally diverse membership||X|
|Demonstrably high standards of personal integrity||X|